While weight loss has obvious physical benefits, it also has several other health and psychological benefits. This article has highlighted some benefits that come with shedding off those extra calories.
a) Weight loss reduces the risk of having the obesity-related diseases and conditions like;
• Cardiovascular diseases and conditions. The chances of being predisposed to heart failure, cardiomyopathy, and coronary artery disease are very minimal with weight loss.
• Weight loss also reduces the risk of suffering from high blood pressure. With weight loss, your blood sugar stays at the right levels.
• Type 2 diabetes. This condition often occurs when the body becomes unable to produce enough insulin. Being overweight is a risk factor for this condition. Weight loss, therefore, comes in handy.
b) Weight loss reduces cholesterol levels, keeping your heart safe.
Being overweight has been known to cause the liver to produce excessive low-density lipoprotein, LDL (also referred to as bad cholesterol’). LDL is sticky and can accumulate in your blood vessels’ walls which leads to the narrowing of arteries, a condition called atherosclerosis. This condition is linked to heart attacks and strokes.
With weight loss, the amount of LDL produced is significantly reduced, and ultimately, your heart stays healthy. Research shows that losing weight leads to up 10 percent reduction of the bad cholesterol’ levels.
c) Results in healthy and pain-free joints.
When you are overweight, the load on your weight-bearing joints like hips and knees increases significantly. This fact causes a joint disorder called Osteoarthritis. This disease causes your cartilage and the bones to wear away resulting in swollen and tender joints, and it can even lead to pain when walking.
Studies have indicated that losing even 5 percent of body weight substantially decreases the weight that is exerted on the knees, lower back and hips. It reduces pain and such conditions as Osteoarthritis.
d) Leads to better hormonal balance.
Ridding your body of the excess calories makes your hormones to steady resulting in further endurance to physical activities related to weight loss. With weight loss, your thyroid glands easily release the necessary hormones that help in proper metabolism.
e) Psychological benefits.
Several studies have proven the fact that weight loss often tends to improve the quality of life by, for instance;
• Increasing your self-esteem
• Lowering the rates of depression
• Giving you better moods as a result of the physical activities involves in weight loss.
• Improved memory, among others
f) Losing weight results in improved sleep.
Weight loss will reduce fatty deposits in the back of your throat which would otherwise lead to the life-threatening a condition called sleep apnea. This is a condition in which breathing can become obstructed altogether.